Thursday, November 1, 2007

100 Pages

I have 100 pages of the novel written. My writer's workshop on Monday night was great. There are only three of us at the moment, but it's nice to meet other writers in this city, and have somewhere to go every week that's not my job.

Last night I dressed up as Frida Kahlo at work. I got a lot of compliments on my outfit, but no one really knew who I was until I told them, and then the women usually said, "Oh! Of course!" The men didn't know who she was.

I am reading Creation Myths by Mathias Svalina. Here is a favorite part of one of my favorites:

God created the world over the span of four years.
He would get all excited about it & work really hard for a few days
& then he would watch some movies & get out of the mood
of staying up late crafting mountains & deciding where to put all the Shell stations.
He would hang out, popping pills & listening to the coda from "Layla" over & over again.

But then he would be cooking eggs or cleaning the toilet & think
Fuck! The world!
And for a couple of days he would work really hard again,
it was during those active periods that he created New Zealand & piano concertos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really enjoyed the excerpt and ordered the book. thank you for posting.

i'd like to see you dressed as frida kahlo. are there any pictures?

dom