Friday, June 20, 2008

Book Bits

Tasha Tudor, Children’s Book Illustrator, Dies at 92

She was 92, if one counts only the life that began on Aug. 28, 1915. Ms. Tudor frequently said that she was the reincarnation of a sea captain’s wife who lived from 1800 to 1840 or 1842, and that it was this earlier life she was replicating by living so ardently in the past.

Will Climbing Gas Prices Be New Hurdle for Indies?

A few days before Steve Martini was set to do a signing at Galaxy Bookstore in San Diego his publicist, Pam Jaffee at Morrow, got a call from a worried Galaxy staffer. The bookseller was concerned that, although Martini has always brought crowds--his books are set in the coastal California metropolis--people might not be willing to drive to the store because of through-the-roof gas prices.

I'm currently devouring The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta. It isn't as complex/heartbreaking/funny as Little Children, but it's still impossible to put down. I was actually disappointed to run into my roommate on the subway platform the other morning, because I was looking forward to reading on the L. All I've wanted to do all week is drink wine, eat ice cream, and read. Can you tell I'm stressed out? Only eleven more days in the apartment from hell. I think I can I think I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought you didn't drink wine anymore.

Leigh Stein said...

i stopped drinking a couple months ago. then i started again. i stopped again for a few weeks, and started again once the bedbugs came because i wasn't able to fall asleep.