Friday, July 25, 2008

Six days

Six days until a vacation that I desperately need. I need grass and trees and a view, even if it is just a view of a church steeple and some power lines and the Dairy Queen, which is what I am imagining now when I try to think of what's back home.

Since living in the west village I've managed to not ride the subway for six days. I even walked from West Street & Barrow to St. Mark's & Ave A and back. Tonight, though, I'm going to Stain Bar for Amy King's reading so I will have to take a train.

Everyone's been giving me pep talks about this dry spell of writing I'm going through. Kendra said I should "fantasize" about my book. I liked that. Hattie told me to have self-confidence because she read an article in Allure about how to be sexy and it says it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you have self-confidence. Hattie also said that the article didn't really make sense, but I don't think that matters.

3 comments:

Tortilla ex Machina said...

Leigh,

Kenneth Koch wrote a poem (at least in part) about such things as poetry dry spells. To reduce it to a sentence, he said: if you could do it before, you can do it again, and you always will.

I think he might even say 'do nothing.' Your writing will come back to you. It has a homing device.

Hattie said...

WHAT ABOUT MY BUM CHAFFING?

Ben said...

you should plunge into your frustration so that you can better understand it allowing you to become a better writer. what about hattie's bum chaffing i wanted to hear that story.