Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I interviewed Mike Young.

I called in sick to work for the first time ever. At this job I mean. I have a fever and am not thinking too clearly. I was in Duane Reade, trying to buy orange juice and talk on my phone at the same time, and it just could not be done.

I'm reading Then We Came to the End. What is the name of that voice? Anyone? The plural voice? The whole book is written in "we"? I've never read anything like it. I think I like it.

One of the best things that happened this week was when I wore a pink & purple floral dress and leggings to teach acting in, and when I got to class, guess what? All four of the five-year-olds were wearing pink & purple floral dresses with leggings.

9 comments:

Mike Young said...

Plural first person, I think. Faulkner's "Rose For Emily" I think is in that voice. Like the whole town tells the story. There are a few more stories where it's like the town telling it. Pretty cool voice when done well.

Mike Young said...

And thank you for interviewing me!! =D

personage said...

get well soon! we were in whole foods on friday, trying to decide which chocolate to buy and i saw your favorite and though about buying it and mailing it to you.

how come you don't allow anonymous comments anymore?

Leigh Stein said...

oh, that is so sweet! it's still my favorite. lucky for me (or maybe i should say unlucky for my diet) they sell it at the grocery store on the corner of my block.

someone had to go and ruin anonymous comments for everyone:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5797782548670153318&postID=7024888459096627062

personage said...

yeah i saw that. commenter #1 is me, as is #3. don't know who the other one is. do you see people's IP addresses or something when they comment?

julia said...

heck yeah first person plural, grammar is the BOMB

julia said...

jesus that is such a weird comment. and unwarranted! any ideas as to who it might be? i'm all ready to smack some bitches when you give the word

vanityisntfair said...

You should definitely read Lorrie Moore. She OWNS second person.

p.s. "Universalism" changed my life. No big deal or anything.

Leigh Stein said...

thanks, lady. lorrie moore owns lots of things. like my heart.