Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Good Unicorn Is Hard to Find

God, it's so nice in New York. It's all New Yorkers can talk about. And we're not even bored of talking about it yet; we're still so surprised by our good fortune. On Sunday, I bought the most expensive pair of jeans I've ever bought in my life and then experienced intense remorse, and had to ask Sarah if it was okay that I spent that much money and she said yes, because finding good jeans is like finding a unicorn, and then I said I would write a book called A Good Unicorn Is Hard to Find. Then I read an entire issue of Vogue and took a nap and watched Desperate Housewives and accidentally cut a chunk out of my finger with a kitchen knife and then walked the dog and fell asleep again.

Today I'm crossing my fingers for a swine flu evacuation so I can go find a good tree to lie under. And I'm definitely not going to class tonight. I've been joking for three weeks that I'm going to skip the class where we talk about Blasted because I didn't think I had the stomach to read it, and then I stopped joking and realized I don't have the stomach to read it, and didn't.

4 comments:

Miss Thing said...

god i love sarah kane's plays SO much. if you are ever in a stronger-stomached state of mine, do read it.

Eric Z. said...

Maybe I was lucky a long time ago to see a bad production of Blasted, where the moments that were meant to be harrowing (a guy throwing up in a trash can) ended up being funny (an actor unconvincingly, but with complete earnestness, pretending to throw up in a trash can).

Eric Z. said...

On the other hand, I saw a great production of her play Cleansed, which was harrowing and intense.

I feel a bias against the work of writers (or artists in general) who took their own lives, though. I don't know if it's fair, but there's something fundamentally about their work that says "this didn't work out, this didn't save them, don't trust this reflection."

Leigh Stein said...

that's interesting, eric, i've never thought of it that way. usually i'm more drawn to artists if they committed suicide, almost as if they saw something that we don't.

my reason for avoiding sarah kane is that there's so much ugly sadistic wretchedness in the real world, i don't want ugly sadistic wretchedness in my art.