Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why take a Brecht class at the New School when you can just read this blog.

I am a fairly impatient person. I have a low tolerance for arrogance, and an equally low tolerance for ignorance without humility, so when I am in a room of arrogant people who have no idea how little they know and how incredibly stupid they sound, I want to throw chairs. Last night, we were treated to a performance of "She's Always a Woman" in sign language and song. This had nothing to do with Brecht, of course; this person just wanted to promote a performance on Friday night by his sign language class.

I said, Is this going to be like Napoleon Dynamite?

Napoleon Dynamite?

You know, The Rose? Some say love it is a river?

After he was done, he showed us pictures from a production of Marat/Sade he'd been in fifteen years ago. Someone in the class asked if he'd looked at the original German version of the play, and if he knew anything about the quality of the translation.

This was a German play?, he said. I didn't know that until you said that.

THIS IS WHY EVERYONE THINKS ACTORS ARE SO STUPID. THIS IS WHY I AM ASHAMED TO TELL PEOPLE I WENT TO ACTING SCHOOL, BECAUSE THEY WILL ASSUME I HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE OF MENTALLY RETARDED COCKER SPANIEL.

A woman in the class who makes a point of telling everyone how she's non-credit, how she doesn't need to do the assignments, and how she thinks Al Pacino is untalented, then presented her final "scene" to be read aloud. The assignment was to write a scene in the style of one of the playwrights we studied. She wrote a movie script about three teenage girls doing speed with a cat. Was this in the style of Beckett, Pinter, Kane, anyone? No of course not.

Luckily, I made it out alive, without punching anyone in the face.

No comments: