Friday, May 29, 2009

Wise Blood



Last weekend, I spent three days in Lombard, Illinois, where it takes two hours to get your nails done. Can you imagine such a thing? Probably not. They had the Indy 500 playing on huge televisions and Peabo Bryson coming in across the airwaves.

I danced at Katelin's wedding and sang the Hava Nagila, but no one lifted me up in a chair. I want to have a Jewish wedding for that reason alone.

Hattie said she wants to read Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor. I said something like, "Oh, she's Kat's favorite--" and Hattie said, "SHE?!" and I was like, "She's a woman?" And then Hattie started crying and said she only likes men and only men are talented and I looked at my mom like, You're the feminist, you do something.

Tonight I need to make meerkat costumes. This may require divine intervention.

2 comments:

Meggy_FFW said...

The story about Hattie made me sad, but I also laughed. I guess sometimes it is this way.

Leigh Stein said...

Maybe the more someone loves you unconditionally, the harder it is to offend them and get attention. This is her way.