Friday, June 19, 2009

True Story Friday

Over three years ago, I went on a date with a guy in Chicago who hated his job and had the same first name as my father. He'd previously Googled me and read all my poems and biographical notes. Throughout the date, I would start to say something about myself, and he would finish my sentence. I thought it was a good date overall, in the sense that I didn't do anything horribly embarrassing, and he laughed at my jokes.

Then a couple days later, I wrote him a jokey email. He wrote back to say we shouldn't see each other anymore because he thought I should get a bachelors degree. "Then some day I'll see your name in The New Yorker, and say to myself, 'I bought that girl a vegetarian platter.'"

6 comments:

Elisa Gabbert said...

That guy was Jesus Christ.

Leigh Stein said...

Or Nostradamus?

Catherine said...

Ah, yes. I think the same thing when I see Anthony Lane's name in the New Yorker. "I bought that man a vegetarian platter." Those were the days.

personage said...

haha, I remember you telling that. bet he is biting his elbows now.

newyorkette said...

Men are very presumptuous, sometimes in cute ways. (I'm supposing he thought you'd fall so in love with him that you'd forget all your ambitions...?)

(Plus, I don't know about you, but anyone who finishes MY sentences more then twice is liable to get slapped with a flyswatter).

dingo said...

Then a couple days later, I wrote him a jokey email. He wrote back to say we shouldn't see each other anymore because he thought I should get a bachelors degree.>

That is the worst rationale I have ever heard for not seeing someone again. Jesus, that guy was stupid.