Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What have you memorized?

Poems I've got: "Jabberwocky," "Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony," "I carry your heart with me," "What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why," and Helena's soliloquoy "How happy o'er others some can be." I used to have a lot of To be or not to be, but I think most of it's gone.

Also: the entire text of Where the Wild Things Are, a monologue about silence from Cigarettes and Chocolate by Anthony Minghella, probably hundreds of musical theater and art form songs. I can never remember the lyrics to pop songs, though. I thought Werewolves in London was Where was your thunder? for literally years.

5 comments:

Eastern Cynic said...

I can do the "But Soft..." soliloquy and the Biff revelation from Death Of A Salesmen. Also, almost every song lyric ever.

Sophie said...

"What Lips My Lips Have Kissed . . . ," "The More Loving One," a monologue from Fried Green Tomatoes, and The Shoop Shoop Song as sung by Cher.

Eric Z. said...

"Yesterday" by W.S. Merwin, "since feeling is first" by e.e. cummings, "Love: Beginnings" by C.K. Williams, "The Stolen Child" by W.B. Yeats, maybe the opening monologue of Stephen Jeffery's "The Libertine," the 50 states in alphabetical order, several Digital Underground songs, and "One Time's Got No Case" by Sir Mix-A-Lot.

Talia said...

"I felt a funeral in my brain," "Dirge Without Music," and "Lady Lazarus"

Chad Reynolds said...

Yes! Great post. I have "Jabberwocky," "When I Have Fears That I May Cease To Be" by Keats, and the first stanza of Chaucer's General Prologue to The Canterbury Tales...in middle English! I once had Part 1 of The Waste Land, but alas, it has fragmented. Ha.