Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Experiments in sobriety

Dear Crate & Barrel,

Please stop sending me catalogs so I can stop wishing I was getting married and/or buying a house.

Love,

Leigh

*

If I make it through the night, I'll be four days alcohol free. This probably doesn't seem like a big deal to anyone, but I've gotten into a bad habit. Surprisingly, drinking half a bottle of wine every night for a month doesn't improve your mental faculties! In fact, you might find yourself crying uncontrollably outside the Let Them Eat Cake in the Midway Airport! You might compose yourself and try to order an ice coffee, only to be told, "Just to let you know, we just put the hot coffee in a cup of ice"!

*

I said I was going to London and Edinburgh but I changed my mind and canceled my bookings. I really want to go to New Mexico. A surprising number of people, especially my blood relatives, are freaking out about this, like I'm missing out on an incredible opportunity. I'm pretty sure London will still be there in a year. All I really want is a car and a road and a vista and maybe some fish tacos and solitude. That's a vacation.

1 comment:

dingo said...

I can totally relate.