Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 7: Who Cries More: Leigh Stein or Second Graders?

My second graders are wild things and not in a good way. Three of them cried today. One of the criers is a Russian boy who knows no English, and another girl kicked him in the leg. Luckily, there are 4 other Russian-speakers in the class, and with their help we translated, "It was an accident. She says she's sorry." This is literally the third time this week my help has been needed in Russian. Who will help me? All I know how to say is yes, no, hi, box, and grandmother.

I read them Olivia by Ian Falconer. If you don't know this book, you are seriously missing out on some major cuteness. In the book, Olivia (the pig) goes to the museum and sees some Degas ballerinas and "Autumn Rhythm #30":



I asked them what this was a picture of. One girl said, "Ballerinas!" A boy said, "Spiders!" Another boy ran up to the front of the class so he could take a closer look at the book and decided, with all seriousness, "War."

No comments: