Sunday, September 13, 2009

Everything you needed to know about my parents.

As I was leaving Lombard last Labor Day weekend, my dad gave me twenty bucks and a book of Woody Allen essays, and my mom gave me a copy of The Nineteenth Wife (about Mormon fundamentalists) and Lincoln's Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness.

...

I had a dark week last week, but now seem to be in the light again.

I've quit the New Yorker, and accepted a job teaching drama to 120 K-5 graders in the southern land of Sheepshead Bay. I start a week from Monday. I'm still teaching on Saturday mornings at BAX, and I'll continue to work for TOON Books. Here's hoping the plan goes as planned. I almost had a heart attack when I saw how much my COBRA is going to be, but by December I should be eligible for coverage through the Freelancers Union. Dear Congress, please save me!

2 comments:

Maggie May said...

the COBRA plan is a joke. i could never, ever afford it if i had to use it.

good luck on your leap into a new job

Michael Northrop said...

Good luck with the new job! That is exciting.