Sunday, November 8, 2009

Mambo! Mambo! Go!

Watching the dance at the gym from West Side Story with my musical theater students (ages 7 - 11) yesterday:

- Why are the girls wearing dresses?
- Because they're at a dance! What should they be wearing?
- I dunno, leggings?
- What?

- That's Maria. Why do you think she's wearing a white dress?
- Because she's the main character.
- That's true. Why else? What does the color white mean?
(No response.)
- It's her first dance in America. It means innocence. She's innocent.

- See that girl who just got kicked in the pants? That's the character I played in high school.
- You weren't Maria?
- No...I wish.
- Did you ever get a big part?

- Which team do we want to win?
- I don't know, which team do you like better?
- The Sharks are better dancers, I want the Sharks to win.
(Riff does a flip.)
- The Jets are good, too. I want them both to win. Who wins in the end?
- No one. That's the lesson.

(lights change when Maria sees Tony)
- IS SHE FALLING IN LOVE WITH HIM?
- SHHH I CAN'T HEAR WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
- ARE THEY GONNA KISS
- Do you guys want to watch this scene or I can stop it now?
- NO DON'T STOP IT I WANT TO SEE THEM KISS
- He's too tall for her.
- She has to look up into his face like this. (imitates Natalie Wood)

No comments: