Friday, March 19, 2010

what claudia wore



True story: when I was 20, I worked for a literary agent, and she had to explain to me what a ghostwriter was. "You don't think all the Babysitters Club Books were written by the same person, do you?" Uh...yes, I did. I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach.

True story: When I read the Babysitters Club books, I always fantasized about being Claudia, but truly I was closer to a Kristy/Mary Ann hybrid. I was [am] bossy. I was always starting clubs and assigning roles to my friends and organizing things. I played softball and had a pixie haircut and was mistaken for a boy. I loved the White Sox.

Last night, a few great things happened. First, I went to an unusually excellent poetry reading with John Findura and Paige Taggart. If you are friends with either of these people, lucky you. Next, I met Molly and Molly told me about what claudia wore, my new favorite everything. I am wearing a side ponytail today in tribute.

3 comments:

lilyladewig said...

I always wanted to be Stacy because she was blonde and boy crazy and had a perm and was from NY -- but I did bite off Claudia's style and hid candy in various places around my bedroom...

Elisa Gabbert said...

I just left this comment in my Google Reader and then realized you wouldn't see it. Duh:

I wanted to be Stacey, and probably look most like Stacey, but I too was a Kristy/Mary Ann (bossy nerd) when I read the books. Also, I didn't really go through a boy-crazy phase until I was 25. Also, I am friends with Paige Taggart. Yay me!

Last night my friend Gillian was wearing a shirt that had the names of the original BSC in the Ramones logo.

Amy Berkowitz said...

my aunt ghost-wrote some of the baby sitters little sister books.