Friday, May 7, 2010

adventures in education

(3rd grade)
- Miss Leigh, can I tell you a riddle? There's a big boat and a little boat. The people on the big boat are looking down in the water at the little boat and there are a lot of people waving, but not a single person. How can that be?
- Um...I don't know.
- Come on, Miss Leigh! It's your LIFELONG DREAM!
- What's my dream?
- YOU KNOW!!!
- I give up. What's the answer?
- Not a SINGLE PERSON. They were all MARRIED.

*

"Ouranos prevented his wife Gaia from giving birth to his children, by blocking them up inside her. Gaia gave a sickle to one of these children, Cronos, with which he castrated his father when the latter next had intercourse with her. Cronos ate the children he had by his wife Rheia, until, by deceiving them with a stone, she was able to save Zeus from suffering this fate. Zeus then overthrew his father."
- footnote to Book II of Plato's Republic, tr. by G.M.A. Grube

*

Tu me manques. (you, to me, are missing)

No comments: