Tuesday, June 8, 2010

currently reading

The weather changed. I feel less homicidal.

In case you didn't already know, Anna Karenina is a work of art. I finished Book I last night. I love this scene between Anna and Vronsky. Blizzard. Train. Doom.

"More than once she had told herself during those recent days and again just now that for her Vronsky was one among hundreds of eternally identical young men to be met everywhere, that she would never allow herself even to think of him; but now, in the first moment of meeting him, she was overcome by a feeling of joyful pride. She had no need to ask why he was there. She knew it as certainly as if he had told her that he was there in order to be where she was.

'I didn't know you were going. Why are you going?' she said, letting fall the hand that was already holding the post. And irrepressible joy and animation shone on her face.

'Why am I going?' he repeated, looking straight into her eyes. 'You know I am going in order to be where you are,' he said. 'I cannot do otherwise.'

And just then, as if overcoming an obstacle, the wind dumped snow from the roof of the carriage, blew some torn-off sheet of iron about, and from ahead a low train whistle howled mournfully and drearily. All the terror of the blizzard seemed still more beautiful to her now. He had said the very thing that her soul desired but that her reason feared."

- tr. by Pevear and Volokhonsky

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have always wanted to read Anna Karenina but was hesitant because I didn't want it to be one of those "classics" that everyone says is their favorite but is really not that good. You have convinced me to pick it up.

Leigh Stein said...

It's so good! Promise.

Ed Baker said...

Tolstoy is Magic... even via translation ...

especially his short stories...

and War and Peace..

I do believe that he ushered in a revolution in the novel ...