Monday, July 5, 2010

I went all the way to Paris and all I got you were these paintings

Below you'll find my favorite paintings from France. At the Louvre, I played a game in which I tried to find as many art pieces I learned about in my Brooklyn College art survey course as possible. These were: the Stele of Naram-Sin, the Code of Hammurabi, the Assyrian winged bulls, Gericault's "Raft of the Medusa," and a medieval Madonna that I can't remember the name of. At the Pompidou, I saw Duchamp's urinal. And at the Musee d'Orsay, I saw that Renoir, "Le Moulin de la Galette."

No. 1
Scène de guerre au Moyen Age, Degas

WTF is going on? It's like a scene from a medieval Bacchae. Why is the lady shooting the naked ladies?

No. 2
Le Combat de l'Amour et de la chasteté, Perugino

More of the same.

No. 3
Les Ombres de Francesca da Rimini, Scheffer

Luscious.

No. 4
Jupiter et Thétis, Ingres

Enormous.

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

oh i love the Scheffer best...wonderful