Sunday, September 19, 2010

currently reading

HERMIA. I frown upon him, yet he loves me still.

HELENA. O that your frowns would teach my smiles such skill!

*

For 30 years Haydn lived and worked at the Esterhazy palace, largely isolated from what was happening elsewhere. As he himself recalled, "My prince was content with all my works, I received approval, I could, as head of an orchestra, make experiments, observe what created an impression, and what weakened it, thus improving, adding to, cutting away, and running risk. I was set apart from the world, there was nobody in my vicinity to confuse and annoy me in my course, and so I had to become original."

*

Given an equation involving the operations of union, intersection and taking complements of sets we can obtain a new equation by interchanging unions and intersections and by replacing each set by its complement.

*

Je serais
Tu seras
Il sera
Nous serons
Vous serez
Ils seront

No comments: