Friday, December 10, 2010

Books Read in 2010

True, a meager 22 compared to last year's 36, or the 29 books I read in 2008. Am I becoming stupider? I hope not. I'm probably just becoming more distracted. Also, I read a lot of heavy hitters this year.

1. Selected Poems/Dara Wier
2. Man on Extremely Small Island/Jason Koo
3. The Iliad/translated by Robert Fagles

Now's the time for killing!

4. Oedipus the King
5. Museum Pieces/Elizabeth Tallent
6. The Bacchae
7. Black Life/Dorothea Lasky

I don't think it is funny to be so elitist
To everyone who hasn't had the chance to be as special as you are


8. The Difficult Farm/Heather Christle

Any time you buy anything,
you should buy an extra, in case
you really like it.


9. The Clouds
10. Stars of the Night Commute/Ana Bozicevic
11. The Ticking Is the Bomb/Nick Flynn
12. Big World/Mary Miller
13. The French Exit/Elisa Gabbert

I want to invent the future,

so people will think I came from it,
sent back to the present-as-past.


14. Pink and Hot Pink Habitat/Natalie Lyalin
15. Anna Karenina/translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky

When she poured herself the usual dose of opium and thought that she had only to drink the whole bottle in order to die, it seemed so easy and simple to her that she again began to enjoy thinking how he would suffer, repent, and love her memory when it was too late.

16. The English Patient/Michael Ondaatje

I promised to tell you how one falls in love.

17. A Midsummer Night's Dream
18. Othello
19. Phaedra
20. The Rivals

Ah, madam, our memories are independent of our wills. It is not so easy to forget.

21. From California, On/Jennifer Denrow
22. Chilly Scenes of Winter/Ann Beattie (reread)

No comments: