Monday, February 20, 2012

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego

Ever since my friend Catherine told me about running into Mary Gaitskill on the subway, and initiating a gushing/awkward fan conversation with her, I have had book + subway fantasies. Not that anyone would recognize me from my author photo and want to talk to me; I'm not completely insane. But that I would see someone reading my book on the train. (And then would have to resist yelling THAT'S MY BOOK I WROTE THAT BOOK.)



My publicist snapped this shot on the F.

Meanwhile, savvy readers know that they can win a free copy of my book by writing in to my advice column. If you live outside the U.S., this can be an even better deal. That's how my book made it all the way to Grace in Korea:


But unfortunately, I don't think it will be a big hit there.


Grace: have i told you about my perils in trying to explain the plot of your book to my asian peers
 me: hahaha NO
 Grace: i didnt realize it either
  but like
  it's pretty weird if you DONT live with your parents
  in almost every major asian country
  until you get married
  it's just what you do
 even today i was telling my students how "he still lives at home with his parents" is an insult
  and they couldn't believe it


Maybe it will be a hit in Belgium. Here's Annelies, whose English is at least 8,000 times better than my French, surrounded by domestic bliss. Her colleagues are "absolutely curious" about my book, she says. I wonder what the cultural expectation about "moving back home" is there?

 

4 comments:

Ian MacAllen said...

I saw a guy reading your book on the PATH to Newark from the WTC on President's Day. It was unexpected, but the cover is distinct.

Cocktail Lady said...

I'm intrigued, what is your book the about? =) Cheers!

Caroline said...

It's not quite 'in the wild,' but I think seeing your book in a library would be cool too!

Leigh Stein said...

Cocktail Lady, it's about a 22 year old woman who graduates college and has to move back in with her parents in suburban Chicagoland.

Caroline, it's definitely exciting to see my book in libraries! On my book tour, I gave a reading at my hometown library (where I'd been going since age 4) and it was awesome.

Someone emailed me a picture of my book at the Cambridge library.