Sunday, July 8, 2012

I wrote another book

On July 24th, my collection of poems, Dispatch from the Future, will be released from Melville House Press. The Rumpus chose it for their Poetry Book Club, and Publishers Weekly selected it for their "Best Summer Books of 2012."


The best sales pitch I have thought of is: Do you hate poetry? Buy my book.

Many people over the years have told me that they hate poetry, but like my poetry, and this is one of my favorite compliments to get. I don't like stuffy, pretentious, humorless poetry either, but so often, that's what people think of when they think of poetry. It can be a dirty word. But poems don't have to be inside jokes among you and everyone in your MFA program. They can be real jokes, or they can be narrative, or they can be dialogue, or they can be dark & moving. Poems can be everything you love about reality TV, Twitter, and road trips, as well as love and heartbreak and loss. I want a real smorgasbord of life in my poems, don't you?

That being said, here are some ideas on how to get and support my book:

* If you're in New York, you're invited to my launch party on July 19

* You can pre-order a copy from your fave independent bookstore

* You can also pre-order on Amazon (or click here for Amazon UK)

* If you have no money or time, you can always add my book on Goodreads, which helps in my campaign to appear more popular than I actually am

No comments: